Monday, January 11, 2010

I Have Survived

The emotions of loosing someone who you love more than yourself, who you would sacrifice anything for, who you spend your days and nights loving and caring for, who you hold, feed, and talk to, who you have great hopes and dreams for, are intense. They are physically painful and become overwhelming. How are we expected to cope? Could I ever smile again? Could I get dressed? Go to the grocery store? How could life go on without him here? What was I supposed to do with myself? In the intensity of it all, I thought I couldn’t go on. It seemed wrong, in a way, to move on. My life had come to a halt. How would I survive?


But, I did have more to live for. Other people I loved. Others who still needed me. So, I carried on. One moment at a time. It was difficult.

Every year as this day approached, I would dread it. We would escape. Vacation. Take our minds and bodies away from anything that reminded us of the pain we lived on that day of great loss. Get away from the sights, smells, feelings, lighting, temperature, etc. Any reminders. Far away.

This year, however, I did not feel that horrible anticipation. I knew the day was coming, and I knew I would be okay.


0 comments: