Thursday, September 18, 2008

Bad Mom Moment # 3,498,218

Last evening I sat down on my bed to nurse Rylan. My other 3 children were in the basement. I was feeling really great because the feeding went well. (Rylan tends to swallow lots of air and click as he eats. We are working on it. Patience!!) So after burping him I walked downstairs. Empty. Looked in the backyard. Empty. Looked in the front. Didn't see anyone. Rechecked the house and backyard, yelling the names of my missing children. Still could not find them. I'm getting nervous. I assume they walked down to a neighbor's house that Brad plays at often. I hurry there. Brad comes along on his bike.
I say,"Where are Reagan and Aubryn?!"
"I just let them come out while we rode bikes and all at once Reagan was at the bottom of the street." He replied.
Sure enough, I look to the bottom of the street and there they are, barefoot. It is about 10 houses away. I can't imagine how fast Reagan rode his trike down the hill. My gut was sick.
I told Brad how dangerous it was that they were that far from home and I didn't know. I told him that even if just he wanted to leave and go ride his bike, he still needs to tell me. But a 2 and 3 year old can't be running around in the road. They can't be out front without mom or dad. He didn't really seem to care. So I got really mean and dished him up a bowl of yummy and nutritious dinner and told him to eat it! (Brad is SO PICKY! I knew he would not like the food. He likes mac and cheese, that's it.) Well, that was pretty tourturous. (more for mom and dad who got to hear him whine)
So I'm hoping today is a better day, with good feedings AND keeping the kids away from dangerous cars.

4 comments:

craig said...

That is pretty scarey! Glad everyone was ok.

When do we get to hear about the bad mom part? ;-)

Amy said...

Wow. Don't ask if that has ever happened to me! I wouldn't recognize the feeling of your stomach dropping and your heart pounding so loud you can't hear yourself think. Which is probably a good thing because I don't think I really want to hear those thoughts in that moment.

Crystal said...

Anjie!!! You are the best mom EVER! I did have to chuckle at the part where you forced Brad to eat his dinner. That is so like something you would do, unlike me who might scream a little more....hehe.

Kar said...

Don't you love big brothers who don't really like watching their siblings? Dylan is like that. If Sadie tags along with him to the neighbor's house down the street, he almost always comes home by himself. Me: "Where's Sadie?" Him: "I dunno."