Sunday, March 6, 2016

I Finished the Book of Mormon!

Last April when we got back from our trip to Palmyra and Kirtland I had a renewed spirit for the Book of Mormon.  I started reading it.  I prayed for understanding.  (I need to thank Brian for helping with kids early in the morning as I read.)  Saturday, March 5th 2016 I FINISHED it!  I don't think I have read it all the way through by myself since I was single.  How sad.  I really enjoyed reading it!  I learned more and was fascinated and uplifted.  When I realized that I finished I felt a little sad it was over.

I feel that my excitement for the book spilled over to our children a little bit.  Several months ago we changed things up with family scripture study.  We began sitting around the table.  I read.  I grabbed a white board and we began drawing cities and writing names to help kids follow the story line better. 



Last week as I was reading the final chapters of  the B of M, a scripture really stood out to me one morning.  The Thursday before, I had received a letter from the court that I needed to respond to regarding jury duty.  I jumped online that night after the kids were in bed to fill out the form.  I asked to be excused at this time because I had seven young children and my husband had health issues.  The next morning I got an email that I was qualified.  I was confused and called the lady at the court office.  I told her I was confused.  I had asked to be excused.  I am guessing she hears all kinds of excuses from people because she didn't have much patience for me.  She told me she didn't want to argue with me and that, "It was my civic duty!"  The only way she would excuse me was if I got a letter faxed to her from Brian's doctor.  I called his doctor's office right away.  I was panicked at the thought of being summoned to jury duty anytime between April 1 through June 30.  To make a long story short, it took them three business days to get back to me after I left messages everyday.  Then after I talked to her, it took her a couple more days to get back to me again to tell me that the physician's assistant that saw Brian last would not write the letter.  I cried.  I was told one episode a month is not enough.  I told her my concerns and said I didn't know what else to say.  She said she'd ask her again.  A couple days went by, again.  I was feeling SO anxious about this whole thing.  I had prayed they would write the letter, but if not it would all work out.  Thursday morning I read this scripture....Moroni 7:  26 And after that he came men also were saved by faith in his name; and by faith, they become the sons of God. And as surely as Christ liveth he spake these words unto our fathers, saying: Whatsoever thing ye shall ask the Father in my name, which is good, in faith believing that ye shall receive, behold, it shall be done unto you.
 27 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, have miracles ceased because Christ hath ascended into heaven, and hath sat down on the right hand of God, to claim of the Father his rights of mercy which he hath upon the children of men?
 37 Behold I say unto you, Nay; for it is by faith that miracles are wrought.  

I decided after I read that to pray with more faith and knew this was a righteous  desire.  I have issues, I think, with faith and the Lord's will.  I know his will is best and that is what will happen regardless of my faith.  I have experienced it.   This was a lesson for me to exercise more faith and believe that he could answer my prayer.  That afternoon Brian called me to see if I had heard from them.  I had not.  He called back a few hours later and read to me a letter excusing me from jury duty!!!!!  He called down there himself and worked some magic.  I was SO RELIEVED!  A miracle! 


I'm so thankful for the Book of Mormon!  I love it and KNOW that it is true.  I'm thankful to the people who helped to bring it about.  I am blessed to have it in my life.
 My family at the Provo City Center Temple open house.
 {Side note:  Do you see how tall Brad is!??  6'2" last I measured.}




0 comments: