Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Brad Arrived in New Mexico Oct 1, 2018

"Good evening! We wanted to let you know that your son has arrived in the New Mexico Albuquerque Mission! He is excited and ready to go! Tonight was dinner and interviews with President Guffey and tomorrow will be trainings and proselyting. Here is a picture of him with President and Sister Guffey!"IMG_3116.JPG
It was so good to talk to Brad on the phone yesterday!  He was in good spirits, but nervous.  He was concerned about his good friend and got special permission to call him.  As we talked, he opened up a little more.  I was telling him that Eden just doesn't get it, as in how long he'll be gone.  He said, "me too."  
"What?" I asked.  I was just going to continue what I was saying but then that sank into my brain.
"After you guys drove away I was standing there with a bunch of missionaries and I thought, 'What am I doing here?! I need to go home!'"
When we left, he didn't even turn back!  He seemed excited and happy.  And we were all yelling BYYYEEEEE at the top of our lungs as we drove off and then had to turn around and drive back by again.  Still no glance our way! I was surprised to hear him tell me that.  I think the reality of the situation must have hit him.
He said the MTC is it's own world.  He knows it will be different in the field. He was nervous about talking to people, which surprised me a little because he always likes talking with people. He said they have to talk to people everywhere they go!  The unknown is scary!   Hearing that other boys he knows have returned early has definitely rattled him.  He really likes his companion from the MTC.  He told me that they couldn't be more opposite and they get along great.  He made many great friends there!  He told me he has something crazy like, 82 pages of spiritual notes and a lot less of journal pages.  
I really enjoyed our visit and as I listened to his voice, I got emotional.  I cried as I told him that there is no doubt in my mind that he can do this!  "You'll do great!  You can do this.  Give everything you have to the Lord!"  I told him I loved him and we hung up.  
He called Brian at work for a bit.  Then he surprised me by calling back to talk to Eden and Aubryn. (boys were still at school) That was sweet to hear.  Eden asked where he was.  She is four.  He told her he was at the airport.  "Are you coming home?!"  He told her he's flying on a plane to New Mexico. "oh." she replied.
These missions are strange things.  I'm all for them, of course!  It just seems so unnatural to cut off regular communication with your child and for them to be plopped into a new place with new people away from everything they are used to.  I do see the value in that.  They can give EVERYTHING they have to God.  They are not divided in anyway.  
I love my missionary!!  I miss him, but know he is in the right place!  I know angels are with him.  I know that Heavenly Father needs him to serve and he can do what he was called to do!

0 comments: