Thursday, April 16, 2009

Happy Gas

When Brad was two I was buckling his brother in his car seat and came around the back of the car to find Brad dancing in the exhaust and singing something like, “[deep inhale] Mmmm! This smells good!” I thought, “Whaah?!”


Later in his life we were at a gas station. Brian was filling up the car with gas and left his door open. I reached over and closed it and said, “Whew! It stinks!” Brad profusely disagreed. “No sir! It smells good. It is my favorite smell.”


Today Brad came home from school. I had spent the day refinishing our dining table and had painted oil-based polyurethane all over the table top and chair seats. The smell was intense. I had the fan going and the window open. Brad walked in, took a deep breath, and said with a big smile on his face, “Smells good in here!”


Don’t worry, I’ve already discussed it is wrong to sniff things like glue and paint with him. I see it as a potential problem.

0 comments: