Sunday, October 25, 2009

Memory Lane

Scrapbook page I made about our engagement.

It was 11 years ago this month that Brian proposed to me. He proposed at the Copper Mine. Before we were officially dating, we were "hanging out"one night and saw the lights over on the hill in the distance. "What are those lights?" one of us asked. We decided to drive out there and find out. It was after midnight when we got to the copper mine entrance. I remember pulling up and being embarrassed that we were there so late. I didn't want to talk to the guard at the gate, so I stopped the car and let Brian get in the drivers seat. We did that about 50 feet in front of the gate. Brian pulled forward and talked to the man like it was normal business hours. "Hi! Are you open?" Turns out they were not. So we turned around. I was now sitting in the back seat and my friend, Kendra, was in the passenger seat. Brian drove my car home to our different apartments. It was late and I was drifting to sleep. Brian told me later(much later) that he looked at me through the rear view mirror that night and knew he was going to marry me.
Here we are the night we got engaged! Remember when striped sweaters were cool?

The night Brian asked me to be his wife, he took me back to the copper mine. We walked around the visitors center. I remember wondering if tonight was the night he would pop the question. Especially because he had taken me to a sentimental place. But he seemed to rush through the visitors center. He didn't want to watch the video. He was anxious to leave. I wondered as we walked around, "Is he going to do it here? Here? Here? What is he waiting for? Maybe he isn't going to." So we left. I was a little confused!

As we drove down the hill Brian's 1988 Honda Accord started acting up, and then it died. We coasted to the side of the road and stopped. I then thought, "Great! Well, if he was going to propose tonight, it isn't going to happen now!" I was sad. He said he needed to get some oil out of his trunk. I sat there feeling bummed. Then he came around to my door, opened it, kneeled down, and asked if I would be his wife. He had roses and held out the ring with a shaky hand. I said, "I'd LOVE to!!" He put the ring on and with a hug and a kiss, off we drove. We had driven for a little while when Brian said, "What was your answer?"
"YES!"
Here is the mine today. We drove to visit it with our kids today.



Wow, look at us now!


Here we are on the side of the road and Brian is pretending to re-propose while Brad takes our picture.
I LOVE this guy! I am overwhelmed with gratitude that he loves me. I am blessed to be his wife.

0 comments: