Monday, November 23, 2009

One year ago today was a very bad day. A day I have worked to let go of. Not forget, just let go. Our lives have been forever changed.


I asked Brian what he has learned in the last year. “Life is fragile. [pause] Life is good.”


“What is so good about it?” I asked.


“Just being with you.” He replied with his arms wrapped around me.


He is a man of few words. I waited to see if he would say more. Then I said, “Maybe I should ask you an insurance question.” He can explain to someone their insurance policy in at least three different ways.


“No, please.”


But I understood. No more words were needed.


So, I thought to myself, “What have I learned?” (I am not a woman of few words.)


I have learned that we can persevere through hard things.

I have learned that prayer is powerful.

I have learned that God is mindful of us. He loves us and never forgets us.

I have learned that I can trust Brian and the decisions he makes.

I have learned that Brian is strong.

I have learned that I am strong.

I have learned that kids notice and feel and live through the hard things too.

I have learned to let God’s will be my will.

I have learned to be grateful. Don’t take anyone, anything, or any day for granted.

I have learned to recognize blessings.

I have learned I can be happy, no matter what.

And I too have learned that life is fragile. One breath. One heartbeat.

And that LIFE IS GOOD!


I thought I had already learned many of these things! But I guess I needed to learn them again. And continue to learn them. I may never be done.

0 comments: