Sunday, June 23, 2013

My Opportunity to Mother


I have been reading about the new common core that will be in my kid's schools soon.  The more I read the sicker I get about it.  My values and those taught in the curriculum don't line up.  There have been a few things that have really upset me, but this one takes the cake!  The common core is taking a lot of literature out and adding "informational texts".    The informational texts are presented as fact.  They are small booklets.  Here is an excerpt from a book called "Children and the United Nations".  It is a 64 page book.

“Kofi Annan, the UN’s former Secretary-General, said, ‘There is no tool more effective than the education of girls.’

“Let’s take a look at why Annan’s statement is true. Suppose a country commits to educating its young girls. What might be the result? First, families will probably get smaller. Educated women tend to have fewer children. Why do women who are educated have fewer children? Because they have more opportunities in life. They have options beyond raising children. Having fewer children makes a big difference…Smaller families mean there are fewer people to feed, clothe, and shelter. That helps a society preserve its natural resources.

“Sadly, many young girls in the developing world are still denied a good education. To address this, UNICEF has been working with other international groups to address this.” (p. 34-35)

Well, I have NOTHING against educating girls.  I do have a problem with stating that being a mother of a large family is a lesser opportunity for me.  That I must not be educated or smart enough to do anything else.  That large families are hurting our planet's natural resources.  Let me share some of my opportunities.

I have the opportunity to fix wounds with a kiss.

To see children learn to work things out and get along.

To teach children self control.

To help kids see outside themselves.

I have the opportunity to teach kids to take responsibility for their choices.

To help kids understand the value of working for something.

To teach children that God lives and loves them.

I have the opportunity to provide a safe haven for my kids.

To teach children to work.

To see them appreciate the beauty of the earth.

I have the opportunity to raise children who can read, think, and problem solve.

To teach children to treat others with love and respect.

To help them learn patience.

To help them see opportunities to help others.

To see them develop a sense of humor.

I have the opportunity to see my children develop talents and skills.

To nurture children's bodies and souls.

To see the good in the world and enjoy life.

I have the opportunity to grow and stretch myself in ways I never dreamed of.  I have to plan, organize, referee, cook, clean, teach, pray, customize, problem solve, and think beyond what I thought my ability was in any of those areas.  I have been pushed to my limit and then way beyond that.

I have the opportunity to work with my husband and we grow closer together as we raise children.

As a large family we reuse many items including clothing.  We grow a garden.  We have many people under one roof.  We are resourceful.  We work together .  All those things help the environment.

I am not living a lesser life.  I am living a blessed and good life!  I have the opportunity to raise strong people.   I have the opportunity to love in a way I never knew I could.  It would be a tragedy for a little girl who wants to grow up and be a mother to read this and come away thinking that is a weak, small goal.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

love this post. thanks.

Jamie said...

I agree with you!

Natalie said...

Where did you find the info about common core? I'd love to know. natskinner22@gmail.com

Kendra said...

AWESOME POST, Anj!