Sunday, June 2, 2013

It's Isaac's birthday.  He would be 11.  That seems crazy!  This morning we went to the cemetery to sing happy birthday, decorate the grave, and eat donuts.  It has been our tradition.  We were all excited to eat donuts!  I had a sad feeling sitting on the grass around his grave with my kids singing "happy birthday".  I was thinking it was sad to be singing happy birthday to a should-be-11-year-old at their grave.  Then we opened the donuts and everyone reached in and grabbed one.  As we each took our bites we realized that the donuts were gross!  Super sad about that!!  We sat around talking.  The kids started talking about where they want to be buried. Reagan said, "I want to be buried in the shade.  Isaac is buried in the sun."  That cracked me up.  He wanted to be under a tree.  He must get that from my parents who will drive all over the parking lot looking for a spot in the shade.  Only my kids would be having this conversation.  I looked over and saw James laying on a neighboring grave reluctantly, but hungrily eating his yucky donut.  He had his knees up with one leg crossed over the other knee.  He seemed to be looking into heaven.

1 comments:

Jenny said...

I wish I had met your Isaac. I don't know how I didn't realize that he was Bentley's age. It seems like loss if everywhere right now. My heart aches for you and my other friends who have lost loved ones.