Friday, January 8, 2016

He Did Not Hesitate part 2

Our baby boy was born with a birth defect called hypospadius.  This meant that the urethra was in the wrong spot.  It wasn't a horrible case, but enough to require surgery for our baby boy. 

We had the surgery done and he was recovering at home.  We were getting ready to bathe him and took the bandage off to check the site.  It did not look great.  Then he peed.  The urine shot straight out through the stitches, not out the new opening where it was supposed to come out.   I was so upset and ran to the phone.  I called the hospital and wanted to run him back.  I told them what was going on and that pee was coming out of the stitches. The whole area was so red and swollen.   They told me there was nothing anyone could do.  We would have to let it heal and do the surgery again.  I was trying to persuade them to let me bring him in.  I didn't want to just let it heal wrong.  They told me that sometimes the cells can overcompensate as they heal and that maybe they had done that, growing over the opening and closing it off. 

As I was on the phone with the hospital, Brian was still in the bathroom with our baby boy.  Brian did not like to see, let alone touch, the wound. I was the one who dressed it and took care of it.  He was great moral support, but I did the bloody stuff.   In fact, with any "owie" at our house, I usually took care of things. 

Brian walked into the living room where I was sitting on the floor, crying on the phone.  He was holding something between his fingers and the baby was crying.  I hung up.  "What happened!?  What did you do?"

"I said a prayer and thought I should pull this off, so I did."

"You pulled what off?  He's bleeding!  Is that skin?"

I couldn't believe that he had touched it at all, let alone pulled some of his tender skin off.  What had he done?!  I was so worried he had done something that was not good.  He couldn't even explain what he had done.

Time went by and we left the baby's diaper off.  He peed again and not one drip of urine came out through the stitches.  It all came out the new opening where it should.  Brian must have pulled off the skin that was growing over the new opening.  He had not been on the phone.  He was alone with the baby.

The baby continued to heal correctly.  We took him in at six weeks post operation for the doctor to examine.  At first, we did not tell her anything so we could see what she would notice.  She said that he had healed perfectly and she was ready to walk out of the room.  We tried to tell her what had happened and she acted like we were crazy.  There is nothing wrong with him.  Everything healed just as it should.