Sunday, July 23, 2017

Are You Listening?

We were recently reading in Alma out of the Book of Mormon.  Ammon was a missionary and became a servant to King Lamoni.  Ammon, after serving the king diligently, had the opportunity to teach the king the gospel.  The king believes and falls to the earth unconscious.  A few days later the queen, her household, and Ammon have also fallen.  There is one girl, Abish, who already believed, and is awake.  She “made known unto the people” what was happening and they gathered to see.  Instead of the people rejoicing and knowing it was the power of God, many murmured and were contentious.  Abish became “exceedingly sorrowful, even unto tears.”  She took the queen by her hand and the queen arose.  She loudly praised God and then took the king by the hand, raising him.  He stood up and “immediately, seeing the contention among the people, went forth and began to rebuke them, and to teach them the words which he had heard from Ammon;and as many as heard his words believed.


But there were many who were among them who would not hear his words; therefore they went their way.” (Alma 19:30-31)


A few chapters later we learn about Aaron’s experience teaching.  Verse 10, “And it came to pass as he began to expound these things unto them they were angry with him, and began to mock him; and they would not hear the words which he spake.”


Am I hearing?  Am I listening?  


It takes effort to really hear. I can certainly attest to that as a mother!  I say a lot of words, but it is crazy how much is not heard.  They can be looking right at me and completely tune me out!  It is interesting that with Aaron it said that the people were angry with him.  I gather from that, they knew what he was saying, yet the scripture tells us they “would not hear the words which he spake.”  When king Lamoni was teaching it said all that heard, believed.  ALL! I wonder how many of us in this world are not really hearing.  Is it selective hearing?  Do we only remember what we want to hear?  Are we plugging our ears?  Are we distracted?  Are we not giving the gospel all the attention it needs to get into our hearts?  Is it really that simple?  We tune in to what is there, let it in, and we will know? What does it take to really listen?  What does it take to hear the words of God?  

I have been pondering this for me.  I imagine it might be different for us all.  Reflecting on my past, when I have felt it really sink into my soul, might help me to know how I listen best.

I want to hear.

0 comments: