Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Breaking and fixing up


We got our back yard leveled! Ready for the next step. (we put a fire pit back in the right and there will be a swing set soon. We hope!)

The ground under our driveway settled and the driveway fell. So luckily it is under warrenty and they are fixing it.
How did this poor guy get this job??? No one else ever took a turn. He used the sledge hammer and his muscles to break up the concrete. I felt so bad for him. Don't they make tools for that? A jack-hammer, maybe??
Brian went out and brought him a drink. He visited with him in Espanol. This guy is going home to Mexico next month after being here a year. He has earned enough to build a home and start his business. He has a wife and two boys. Brian gave him a Book of Mormon and some other church info in Spanish. He has lived here in Utah this long and was curious about the church, but the only church he had been invited to was the Evangelist church. He seemed to appreciate the things Brian gave him and asked how much he owed Brian.
That is a LOT of work. Then they just picked up these chunks and threw them in the truck! I don't think I could lift one.
These are the 3 tools used to get all that concrete out!Our walkway and steps settled too. The steps had pulled away from the house. (Same guy broke this up too, bright and early the next morning.)
He's thinking about it.Done thinking!

Tomorrow a guy is coming to pour our patio. Yeah!
Someone said to me today when I brought her dinner (she just had a baby), "You didn't have to do this. You don't look like you feel well today." I didn't think I looked that bad.

3 comments:

Kar said...

That comment the girl said is so funny! I think it's so funny when people say, "You look AWFUL!!" That poor Hispanic guy. What a hard worker. That is great that Brian shared the gospel with him. And your backyard is humungous!!

Jenny said...

good luck w/ your yard. hope everything goes in quickly, and that the ground is finished settling. :)

comments like that last one can ruin my day. i LOVE to hear how tired, old, or sick i look. :)

anjie said...

The next day someone told me on the phone that I didn't sound well. Man, I better take a long hard look at myself. I'm starting to wonder if I really am not well.