Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Brad's talk Sept 9, 2018


Good morning brothers and sisters, today I’ve been asked to share a few of my experiences
that helped me build my testimony of Christ and of the Restoration.  I have also been asked
to talk about President Eyring’s most recent conference talk entitled, “His Spirit to be with you”.
Like most of us, I don’t have one grand experience that has shaped my testimony.  Rather,
I have gained it slowly over time with the help and influence of the Holy Ghost.  I would like
to compare my testimony to gardening, which is something that I love to do. When you plant
a garden, you can’t expect to harvest the garden the next day or even the next week.  President
Carver showed me Alma 32:42 which says, “And because of your diligence and your faith and
your patience with the word in nourishing it, that it may take root in you, behold, by and by ye
shall pluck the fruit thereof, which is most precious, which is sweet above all that is sweet, and
which is white above all that is white, yea, and pure above all that is pure; and ye shall feast
upon this fruit even until ye are filled, that ye hunger not, neither shall ye thirst.”  Just like a
garden, our testimonies take diligence, faith, and patience to grow.
With a garden you need to be diligent in doing the little things like watering, fertilizing,
and weeding, have faith that the seeds will grow and have patience.  The same applies
to our testimonies, we need to diligently do the small things: studying the scriptures,
praying, attending our church meetings, the temple, and paying our tithing.  We need
to have faith in what we do know and as Elder Uchtdorf said, “Doubt [our] doubts
before [we] doubt [our] faith.” Our testimonies also take time to grow. The more
often and consistently we do the little things the stronger our testimonies grow and the
better your garden will grow.  You get out of something what you put into it. Elder
Clayton said, “If we don’t experience some personal storms and some drought, our
roots never have the chance to become strong. They don’t mature if everything is easy.”
That is why Heavenly Father gives us trials in our lives.
Just like a garden is something we need continuously work at, so is a testimony.  
You can’t just water or weed it once and be good for the year. You need to do things
to take care of it everyday and every week.  With your testimony you need to continuously
“Fan the flame of your faith” as Elder Holland said, and do the little things no matter how
hard they are.  
Heavenly Father doesn’t addict us to things that are good for us, addiction is the
advisary’s tool.  We can make the little things habits though. I once heard an analogy
that our brain is like an overgrown jungle.  To make a new trail or habit we need to do
some hard work to carve a new path. If you stay on your new path your old path will
get grown over.  It will still be tempting to do those old things, but they become less so
as we abstain from them. We don’t have to be perfect, we just need to be willing to be
perfected.
One of the biggest things that has helped me grow my testimony has been reading the Book
of Mormon.  I had a seminary teacher my Junior year of High School who challenged
us to read the Book of Mormon everyday during the month of December as our Christmas
gift to Christ.  After doing it for a month I had formed the habit, and I haven’t missed a day
since then. The Book of Mormon is the biggest builder of my testimony of Christ and of
the Restoration.  As I have read it, I have come to know that it couldn’t have been fabricated
by Joseph Smith, and because of that I have gained a testimony of the rest of the Gospel.
I have also had a few larger experiences that helped strengthen my testimony.  Three years
ago we went on a family vacation over Spring Break to Palmyra and Kirtland.  I was able to
be alone in the Sacred Grove on a day in the Early Spring. Going to those places and seeing
what they saw and hearing stories of what the early members had to go through helped
strengthen my testimony of the Restoration.  I can’t imagine anyone being torchered and
sacrificing everything, in some cases even their lives for this Gospel. This realization
helped me know that it must be true.
I also had the opportunity to attend EFY a few times.  They had lots of fun activities,
and I was able to make many great new friends.  But most importantly it strengthened
my testimony. They have classes, morningside's and devotionals, where my understanding
of the Gospel grew, as well as my testimony.  I like to think of these larger experiences a
fertilization, something that isn’t done as often, but gives a boost of energy and nutrient
to the garden or testimony.
Another important part of gaining a testimony is to have the companionship of the
Holy Ghost. “He is the third member of the godhead.  The father and the son are
resurrected beings. The Holy Ghost is a person of Spirit.” In President Eyring’s talk
he says He has a testimony, “by the only way any of us can.  The Holy Ghost has spoken
to [his] mind and heart that [it is] true-not just once but often.”  He also says that he
has “needed that continuing comfort [and that] we all experience tragedy during which
we need the reassurance of the Spirit.” However, “It is [our] choice whether to receive
him and welcome him into [our] heart and mind.”  “To have the spirit sent to us, we
must ‘always remember’ the savior and ‘keep his commandments’”. As we heard
today in the sacrament prayers.
I think that the following passage from President Eyring’s talk is very important:
“We have the priceless promise of the Holy Ghost as a companion, and we also have
true directions on how to claim that gift. These words are said by the Lord’s authorized
servant with his hands on our head: ‘Receive the Holy Ghost.’ At that moment you and
I have the assurance He will be sent. But our obligation is to choose to open our hearts
to receive the ministration of the Spirit over a lifetime.”  He continues, “The Prophet
Joseph set an example for us of how to receive continual spiritual direction and comfort
through the Holy Ghost. The first choice he made was to be humble before God.
The second was to pray with faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. The third was to obey
exactly. Obedience may mean to move quickly. It may mean to prepare. Or it may
mean to wait in patience for further inspiration. And the fourth is to pray to know
the needs and hearts of others and how to help them for the Lord.”  “Concern for
others opens [our] hearts to receive inspiration. That can be true for [us] too.”
He says that there are two things that great ministers have. They have “qualified
for the Holy Ghost as a nearly constant companion. And they have qualified for
the gift of charity, which is the pure love of Christ. Those gifts have grown in
them as they have used them in serving out of love for the Lord.” When you
have these two things the Lord is more likely to prompt you to be a help for others.
When we receive promptings we need to follow President Monson’s example and
“never postpone a prompting.” One story he gave in a talk entitled “The Spirit giveth
Life” goes as follows:
“As a bishop, I worried about members who were less active, not attending,
not serving. Such was my thought as I drove down the street where Ben and
Emily lived. They were older, in the twilight period of life. Aches and pains
of advancing years had caused them to withdraw from activity to the shelter
of their home—isolated, detached, shut out from the mainstream of daily life
and association.
“I felt the unmistakable prompting to park my car and visit Ben and Emily,
even though I was on the way to a meeting. It was a sunny weekday afternoon.
I approached the door to their home and knocked. Emily answered. When she
recognized me, her bishop, she exclaimed, “All day long I have waited for my
phone to ring. It has been silent. I hoped that the postman would deliver a letter.
He brought only bills. Bishop, how did you know today was my birthday?”
“I answered, “God knows, Emily, for He loves you.”
“In the quiet of the living room, I said to Ben and Emily, “I don’t know why I was
directed here today, but our Heavenly Father knows. Let’s kneel in prayer and ask
Him why.” This we did, and the answer came. Emily was asked to sing in the choir,
even to provide a solo for the forthcoming ward conference. Ben was asked to speak
to the Aaronic Priesthood young men and recount a special experience in his life
when his safety was assured by responding to the promptings of the Spirit. She sang.
He spoke. Hearts were gladdened by the return to activity of Ben and Emily. They
rarely missed a sacrament meeting from that day to the time each was called home.
The language of the Spirit had been spoken. It had been heard. It had been understood.
Hearts were touched and lives saved.”
To have the Holy Ghost with us as a constant companion we need to be worthy, and
this is done by following the commandments.  It is just as important that we are clean
and pure in our private lives as in our public lives. I would like to share an analogy I
heard at EFY: The instructor compared our worthiness to a house.  How we act in
public is like the house, which everyone can see, but the most important part of the
house is the foundation which represents our private life. No matter how beautiful
and perfect the house may look, if it doesn’t have a strong foundation it won’t last
very long.  Our private victories precede our public victories. My Mom has a sign
hanging in our house which reads, “You are who you are when no one is looking.
To keep our house standing strong we need to live the Gospel and keep the
commandments, even when no one is looking. Sandra Turley said, “Don’t
seek to be well known, seek to be worth knowing.”  To keep our minds clean
and pure we should follow the counsel given in D&C 121:45 which tells
us to “let virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly.”
So how do we know when we are feeling the spirit?  D&C 11:12-13 says
that if we “put [our] trust in that Spirit which leadeth to do good-yea, to do justly,
to walk humbly, to judge righteously; and this is my Spirit.  Verily, verily, I say
unto you, I will impart unto you of my Spirit, which will enlighten your mind,
which shall fill your soul with joy.” We learn from that that if we want to do
good and are filled with joy then we have the companionship of the Holy Ghost.  
When we have the Spirit, not only do we want to do good continually, but in
Mosiah 5:2 we learn that “we [will] have no more disposition to do evil.”
Galatians 5:22-23 tells us that “The fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace,
longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against
such there is no law.”  So when you are feeling those things you have the
companionship of the Holy Ghost. Exodus 31:3 says that we will be filled
with wisdom, understanding, knowledge, and all manner of workmanship.
So we can see that God will help us in all aspects of our life, including work
and school, when we have the companionship of the Holy Ghost.  We often
mistake being emotional as having the Spirit, however that isn’t always true.
You can still feel the Spirit strongly without crying.
For some of us the biggest way for us to recognize the companionship of the
Holy Ghost is when we have a period of time when we don’t have his
companionship.  We can feel a difference in ourselves, and can recognize it
better when we do have it’s companionship. It is very important to be able to
recognize the spirit, especially as a missionary, because people become
converted through the Spirit, so it’s important that we learn to recognize him,
not just for ourselves, but for others as well.

In closing I would like to bear my own testimony.  I know that Jesus Christ is
our Savior, and that he suffered for all of our sins, pains, afflictions, and
sicknesses (Alma 7:11) so that we can to return and live with him and be
with our Families forever.  I know that Joseph Smith was a true and living
prophet, and that he restored The Church of Jesus Christ back to the Earth.
I know that he translated the Book of Mormon, and the the Book of Mormon
is another Testament of Jesus Christ.  I am grateful that He has given us
Scriptures and the ability to Pray and communicate with him. I am also
grateful for Temples, and the ordinances provided in them. I am grateful
for all of my Family and Friends that love and support me.  I know that
this Gospel is true, and I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

0 comments: