Thursday, November 20, 2008

Toe Jam

Actual phone conversation that Brian had tonight with an adult, married man:


Brian: Hello?


Hi


Brian: Hi (name) how are you doing?


Fine. My mom hurt her toe.


Brian: She did? What did she do?


She stubbed it.


Brian: Oh no!


At this point he and I (I was laying in bed next to him and was listening to the conversation) started laughing, so we could barely hear the next part. But it only got worse. Something about his wife trying to help his mom’s toe by picking it with a needle. Now it is infected! Man! So the Mom kicked his wife out. Now he lives alone with his mom to take care of her and her ailing toe. “She can’t do much. She has to keep it elevated.” I heard him say that a few times. Wow, crazy. Brian was so nice on the phone trying to give him counsel. He asked him if he was working and he said he was working 24 hours. A week? “No, a month. Got to get my food stamps.”


My favorite thing Brian said was something like, “Man, I’ve stubbed my toe and it hurts. But not as bad as your stub.” Such a compassionate guy. And I’m the uncompassionate wife writing about it on her blog.

4 comments:

Kar said...

Um, wow. That guy sounds...really interesting. Your husband is so sweet - I think mine would yell at the dude and tell him he was a loser!

Kris said...

That is a very interesting conversation. I would be laughing to.

Angela said...

What a funny story.  I am trying to figure out why someone would tell Brian that- was it for work or a church calling?  Who would tell someone that info?  People are so different sometimes! 

Julianne said...

What a guy that brother of mine. I think I would have thought it was a joke and hung up on them.